Cool mornings and shortened evenings hint towards the season of autumn. However, the surrounding areas of Thunder Bay are still buzzing with activity as we approach fall time. Farmers and producers are nearing the end of their growing seasons, paying close attention to weather forecasts for any sign of early frost as they plan out their harvest schedules for the upcoming weeks.
There are plenty of local activities & workshops taking place the next few weeks that celebrate this season of harvest. Take some time to check out the following (and keep up to date on more events through our Event Calendar).
• Hymers Fall Fair – Labour Day Weekend, Sunday & Monday, Sept. 3-4
• Rural Heritage Days featuring the 85th Annual Slate River Plowing Match – Friday & Saturday, Sept. 8-9
• Room at the Table – Beer & Food Pairing – Sunday, Sept. 10
• Get Creative! A Local Food Procurement Workshop – Tuesday, Sept. 19 (see event calendar for more details)
• Northern Delights Harvest Festival – Tuesday, Sept. 26 – Saturday, Oct. 7
• Farm Safety Day Workshop – Saturday, Oct. 14 (see event calendar for more details)
• Roots to Harvest Market Days
• Nolalu Market – Every Friday 4-7pm (until September 29)
• Kakabeka Farmers’ Market – Every Saturday 9:30am-noon (until October 7)
• Thunder Bay Country Market – Every Wednesday 3:30-6:30pm & every Saturday 8am-1pm
As always, please feel free to send over an event or article submission on our local agricultural community to post on the site. Contact Miranda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This site is designed to help connect visitors with people, resources, news and information in support of a stronger, more vibrant farming community in the Thunder Bay area.
We welcome submissions from Thunder Bay Federation of Agriculture members, other organizations, business and individuals looking to share with the community.